Saturday 10 March 2018

Lemon Curd





I had some incredible pancakes the other day which featured passionfruit curd. I had never had any kind of fruit curd before, and I was sold!

I decided to dip my toes into the world of curd with its most famous type – lemon!

I had loads of leftover lemons from a party, and I got cracking almost immediately. It’s really simple to make and you probably have all the ingredients already.

Something that is good to know up front - making curd is EASY. If you can make custard from scratch then this is like its simpler cousin. When the mixture started to thicken up I was in raptures (I’m very easily pleased).

It made about 3x the amount shown here, it's just I only have tiny little jars..

There are plenty of curd inspiration recipes out there, but as well as in pancakes, I think it would be amazing spooned over meringue and topped with a little cream for a little zesty summer pudding. Or as the filling in an alternative Victoria sponge.

Next on my agenda, find passionfruits..

Makes enough for one small jar

Ingredients
  • 2 lemons, zest and juice
  • 80g caster sugar
  • 20g vanilla sugar
  • 50g butter
  • 2 eggs, beaten



Method

Add the lemon juice and zest, sugars and butter to a bowl.



Gently heat over a pan of boiling water, stirring occasionally. When the butter is melted, remove from the heat for 5 minutes (this will prevent the eggs from curdling).

Place the bowl back on the heat and slowly whisk in the eggs with a fork.



Lightly whisk for the next 10  or so minutes until the mixture becomes thicker, like a custard texture.

Remove from the heat and sieve into a clean jar. Refrigerate and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment