Tuesday 4 July 2017

Green Soup



Healthy eating is really hard and I totally fell off the wagon big style. Like, from Christmas. It’s now summer. That’s not good. So this seems as good a time as any to try to get back on it while getting the blog back up to regular updates!

I have been trying to think of ways to get more vegetables into my diet because I am quite immature in my vegetable tastes. I will happily eat sweetcorn and peas and carrots, but I really struggle with things like aubergine and spinach and cucumber. And I just point blank refuse to eat a green shake.

But I have an ace up my sleeve. Soup! I really like soup. It’s quick to make, you can throw a whole host of veggies in it and the best part is you can hide the veggies by blitzing the whole thing up to make a smooth and creamy lunch.

I find it easiest to make changes for my lunches. Gone are the sandwiches and crackers, behold the era of soup! For this soup, I knew I wanted to have the main part be broccoli, and the rest I just kind of threw in based on what I like and what was in the cupboard.

Makes 2 large bowls of soup

Ingredients aka green bits
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp pesto
  • 500ml vegetable stock
  • 250ml pork stock (use all veg stock if you want it to be vegetarian)
  • 1 head of broccoli, cut up
  • 6 scallions
  • A handful of frozen peas


Method

Melt the butter in a pot and stir in the garlic and pesto. Allow to cook for a few minutes.



Pour in the stock and bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, chop the broccoli into small florets and slice the scallions.

Throw in the broccoli and scallions and allow to simmer for 7 minutes.



Add in the frozen peas and allow to cook 5 more minutes.



Blitz! Serve with some more scallions, a drizzle of pesto and some chilli flakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment