Thursday 3 November 2016

Orange and Ginger "Raw-eos"



Well, I had a box of medjool dates left over from my last “raw” cooking kick, so I thought I’d try something that I’ve been thinking about for a little while. While these don’t taste anything like Oreos, they look a bit like them and they’re kind of delicious in their own way. I’m a sugar addict, I’m not going to go all “clean” on you guys and say how these taste even better than the real thing. They don’t, BUT they’re actually pretty damn delicious, and sweetly flavourful.

The biscuit-y bit is actually really similar to those Nakd bars – the only one I like (choc orange). I think the little addition of bits of ginger chocolate gives it a real pop and works well with the orange. I’m a fan.



Raw cooking is something which I’m just dipping my toes into, and adjusting to my own tastes. Feel free to play around with the flavours, or just leave the ginger choc/zest out entirely. The other great thing about these is that you don’t need the filling, you could easily roll them a bit thicker (like an inch) and just eat them as-is. Versatile and yummy!



Makes about 10 whole biscuits

Ingredients for the biscuits
  • ·         100g pecans
  • ·         200g dates, pitted
  • ·         2 tbsp maple syrup
  • ·         3 tbsp cocoa powder
  • ·         ¼ tsp salt
  • ·         1 tsp vanilla sugar
  • ·         5 small squares of dark ginger chocolate
  • ·         Zest 1 small orange


Ingredients for the filling
  • ·         150g cashews
  • ·         2 tbsp creamed coconut
  • ·         1 tbsp maple syrup


Method

The food processor is gonna get good use for this one!

Begin with the filling, soak the cashews in water for at least 2 hours.

Now turn your attention to the biscuits – add all ingredients to a food processor and blitz until it all comes together.




Divide into two and place each on a separate piece of greaseproof paper (I initially used tinfoil, but that didn’t work as well as greasproof).



Fold the paper on top, and roll out with the dough sandwiched in between layers of paper – this will make it easy to cut out. You want it to be about 1cm deep. Place in the fridge to chill, and come back to it when the cashews are ready (at least 45 minutes).



When the cashews have soaked for long enough, drain them and place in a food processor with the rest of the filling ingredients. Blitz until smooth and creamy. Mine never got to that stage, but I think I just don’t have the patience to process nuts for that long. Oh well, I prefer stuff with a little texture anyway!


Remove your dough from the fridge, and cut out with a small biscuit cutter. Dollop the filling on top and close the sandwich with another biscuit. Repeat until they’re all done.




Chill until eating.



No comments:

Post a Comment