Monday 19 September 2016

Mint Oreos-Ish



So, my favourite, favourite, favourite things in the whole world are mint oreos. Before that, it was Mint Yoyos (sadly, discontinued). And my favourite things that I make are my mint brownies and peppermint squares.

Sensing a theme? The quickest way to my heart is pairing mint and chocolate and giving  it to me.

So, it’s quite hard to get a hold of mint oreos in the UK. Once I spent £7 on a pack from a London deli, and I regret NOTHING. And in all honesty, that is a good thing. Do you know how many packs I’d eat daily if they were readily available? Doesn’t bear thinking about. I got 2 packs for Christmas last year and I ate them ALL before New Year's and that was with strict rationing.



But, once in a while, I like to treat myself. And I looked up how to whip up a batch for myself.  These are incredibly moreish and delicious, with all the flavour of a mint oreo, if not the exact texture – these are soft rather than crunchy. They are kind of like a "whoopie pie." The best part is that you can decide how much filling you want.. Quadruple-stuff oreo anyone?  YES. For me, I will continue on my search for the perfect mint oreo recipe, but until then, these will make a very delicious mint chocolate biscuit recipe.

I could have iced them a little prettier, but I was really hungry


Makes a dozen sandwiched cookies

Ingredients
  • 160g plain flour
  • 40g cocoa
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ¼ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 160g caster sugar
  • 120g butter
  • 1 large egg


Ingredients for the minty filling
  • 60g butter
  • 40g shortening
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract
  • A few drops of food colouring
  • 200g icing sugar


Method

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.

For the biscuits, mix together the flour, cocoa, leavening agents, salt and sugar. Mix through the butter. Then add the egg and mix to form a rough dough.

Om nom nom


Roll tbsp. sized balls and place on a baking tray. Bake for 9 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool.

Pre-baking and post-baking


For the buttercream, whip together the butter and shortening, then mix in the flavouring and colouring. Gradually add the icing sugar so you have a thick, spreadable frosting.

Line up the cookies in equally sized pairs and sandwich them together with the filling.





Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment