Sunday 28 August 2016

Salted Caramel Brownies



So, I’ve just come back from a fortnights holiday to hot and sunny Croatia and I slightly over-indulged. I had a lot of icecream. And frozen yogurt. And alcohol.

What I’m saying is, it was amazing.



And that theme of overindulgence should continue just one more day.. Which brings me to this post.
I love brownies. I love how easy they are to make, I love how delicious they are, I love when they’re all squidgy and fudgy and nearly falling apart when you cut them. So this is the next in my long line of brownie posts.



I have a terrible confession though (which I may have made before).. I can’t make good caramel. It’s really damn difficult for me (file this under “Can’t make correctly” before fudge). So, this is one of those times when I take a shortcut and use ready-made canned caramel. Sorry. Please, make your own if you can do that. I’ll stick to my tin and keep my saucepans un-burned. Caramel continues to cause me slight difficulties here because the top of the brownies burned a bit due to the caramel bits "catching".


Ingredients
  • 200g butter
  • 200g dark chocolate
  • 1 tin caramel
  • 1 tbsp sea salt
  • 100g golden caster sugar
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 130g plain flour
  • 50g cocoa powder
  • Pinch salt
  • 100g chocolate chips  (optional)


Method

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Melt the butter and chocolate together and set aside briefly to cool.

Mix 175g of the caramel with the salt and set aside.



Put the rest of the caramel in a bowl with sugar and eggs and whisk together with a handheld whisk.



Whisk in the chocolate/butter mixture into this.

Sift together flour, sugar and a pinch of salt and fold this into the chocolatey mixture.




Pour half of this into a greased and lined brownie pan, and then pour 2/3 of the caramel in 4 strips over the top. Spoon over the rest of the batter and then dollop over the rest of the caramel.




Swirl with a chopstick to give a marble effect and sprinkle over choc chips if wanted.


Marbling is my favourite


Bake for 20-25 minutes but be careful because the caramel makes it have a tendency to “catch” and burn quicker than regular brownies.



Remove, let cool slightly in pan and then place on a wire rack to fully cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment