Monday 20 June 2016

Cauliflower Rice



I am incredibly out of my comfort zone here. What has led me down to the dark valley of rice substitutes, avocado pudding, and ALMOND MILK EVERYWHERE?

Well, it started off with doing a detox for 14 days. And that meant no carbs. No rice, no bread, no noodles, no muffins, no cake, no biscuits, no brioche, no NOTHING. I’m not going to lie, I was really upset. And slightly dizzy. And INCREDIBLY HANGRY ALL THE TIME.

I made it 48 hours with no carbs. This was a part of it.

It’s no secret that I love rice. I could happily eat only rice with a bit of curry sauce or peri-peri mayo for the rest of my life. Dip a tortilla wrap in it and I would be in heaven.

What I’m trying to do is to is make better choices, and exposing myself to things that I otherwise wouldn’t even think about trying. I can then incorporate the healthy stuff that still tastes good into my everyday diet. Now, I’m only on day 2, and so far I know that cauliflower mash is pretty edible. And something that all the crazy health bloggers like is cauliflower rice. So, I’ve gone from buying one cauliflower EVER in my life, to buying two this week.

I won’t lie, I can taste a good deal of the cauliflower still, but eating it with a curry mitigates that somewhat. I didn’t love this. I hate posting stuff that I’m not in love with, but my Swedish boyfriend really liked it, so I’m going against my instincts and sharing it.

It is incredibly easy, which isn’t always the case with these “healthy” alternatives. Feel free to experiment with spices, or throw in some fresh garlic when you’re blitzing it. This thing can take on a lot of flavour.


Serves 2 with leftovers

Ingredients
  • 1 cauliflower
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic granules
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • A drizzle of olive or walnut oil


Method

Chop the cauliflower into florets and then quarter the larger ones. Blitz in batches in a food processor until a fine crumb-like consistency is reached.



Pour into a bowl, and mix through the spices. No salt at this stage.



Spread onto 2 baking sheets and drizzle a little oil on top.

Bake in the oven for 15-17  minutes, stirring halfway through.



Remove and serve with your favourite curry.



No comments:

Post a Comment