Friday 11 March 2016

Pretzel Dogs



Happy weekend! And what better way to celebrate than with more pretzels! You may have noticed a theme on my blog - I find one thing that I newly love to make and just make it all the time in slightly different variations. Currently. I'm on a pretzel-theme - and there is more to come!

I love the versatility of pretzel-style breads. They all have a similar method - making dough, usually letting rise, forming into shape, then dipping into a bicarbonate bath before baking. It's not difficult, but it can be a bit fiddly. It's all worth it though, because it makes a delicious bread! The dough recipe probably makes slightly too much for one 10-pack of hotdogs, so because I can't throw anything away (thanks, nanny!) I used up the rest of the dough to make a few halloumi-dogs, and they were also fantastic, just as cheese baked in bread should be,

And this dense chewy bread of course also works really well with the soft, salty frankfurter. That equals the best kind of hot dog. And for me, a bitesize hot dog is total party food. I love making party food, because I love having parties. But having party food just for dinner is also excellent, in the same way that having breakfast food for dinner is excellent. It is a little bit of a treat, and I don't do it often, so it totally brightens up my day.


makes 30 hot dogs
Ingredients
  • 4.5 cups flour
  • 7g instant yeast
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 340ml lukewarm water
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • ½ cup bicarbonate of soda
  • ¼ cup salt
  • 10 frankfurters, cut into thirds
  • Sesame seeds, optional


Method
Place the flour in a bowl. Put half the yeast in one side, and the salt in another.

In a smaller bowl, pour in the water, and add in the rest of the yeast and the sugar.

Make a well in the flour, and pour in the water mixture and the butter. Kneed briefly for 2 minutes. Cover the bowl with cling film and let rise for an hour, until doubled in size.

Uh. I'm gonna need a bigger bowl.

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees.

Turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Cut off a slightly smaller than golf-ball sized amount. and roll it out long and thin. 



Beginning at one end, roll up the sausage until covered.

Do this with all of the sausages. I also did a few with chunks of halloumi and they were a TREAT.



Make up a water bath  - place 4 cups of lukewarm water and ½ cup bicarb of soda in a bowl. Dip each hot dog in the bowl briefly and drain.

Dogs in the bath

Brush with egg yolk, scatter over sesame seeds and bake in the oven for  15 minutes until golden and crispy.




Serve warm, and fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment