Thursday 11 February 2016

Swedish Pancakes




I'm a little late for pancake day!! Sorry, guys. I was too busy eating pancakes to blog.

These are my take on the Swedish pancakes which my Scandinavian boyfriend loves, and says taste just like home!  Praise indeed. They are much more like a crepe than a pancake as I know it, fluffy and light, and these are best served folded in 4 or rolled up, and munched with cream and jam (and it would have to be lingonberry jam from IKEA for authentic Swedish-ness, but my boyfriend prefers regular strawberry).



I will hold my hands up and admit, there are a lot of things about Swedish cuisine that baffle me slightly. Their reliance on dill. The many types of fish, appearing everywhere.  Surströmming.  Also, they do eat Rudolph. But they really do have it right when it comes to breakfast foods. Waffles and sweet rice pudding to name a few of my personal favourites. And, while I'm not a crepe person, I am assured that these are excellent.

The other thing I want to make clear, these are a bit more fiddly than my other pancake recipe, and I want to assure you that the first one will probably turn out terribly. But that's ok. Offer it as a gift to the kitchen gods and move onto the second one.

My top tops for mastering this runny batter - use 1/4 a cup of batter (they need to be thin enough to cook quickly), use a small round pan so that it won't spread all over the place, and grease the pan thoroughly with olive oil or butter before you pour over the batter each time to allow the pancake to be flipped more easily.




Makes 6-8

Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 420ml milk
  • 125ml flour
  • Pinch salt
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted

Method

Beat the eggs and stir in half the milk.



Beat in the flour and salt until smooth.



Melt the butter in the pan you will be using to make to pancakes.

Pour the rest of the milk and the melted butter to the egg/flour mixture and stir well until all combined.



Drizzle some oil in the already hot pan, and pour in ¼ cup of the batter.



Allow to spread out, and cook on one side for approximately 1.5 minutes.

Flip over carefully, and cook for another 30 seconds.




Serve with what you will, the boyfriend likes them plain, but you can put sugar, or jam, or anything you like on them.



No comments:

Post a Comment