Sunday 14 February 2016

Mexican Style Pytt i Panna




Happy Valentine's day, my lovelies. This is not a themed post, however I think any date would be extremely happy with this cheesy, spicey, meaty, beany triumph served up for dinner! Equally, for the single among you, it is delicious eaten from a bowl, smothered in sriracha, in PJs in front of the TV. Seriously. It's amazing both ways.

I found this delicious-looking recipe a few weeks ago and it reminded me so much of pytt i panna that I had to give it a whirl (with my own tweaks!). Full disclosure – I had planned to make this way  earlier in the year, but have you ever tried buying turkey mince in early January (aka diet season)? Can’t be done.  The shelves are empty.

So, I had to wait a good few weeks to actually find the damn ingredients for this bad boy. I didn’t really know what to expect with this meal, but I love one-pot meals. So once everyone's diets had lapsed I managed to get the mince in my possession and I made it immediately!

This is an interesting concoction, like a Mexican-spiced pytt i panna mixed with lasagne. I am a big fan – it’s comforting, spicy, and packed full of my favourite things (sweet potatoes not least!). I also like the versatility, just put in the veggies and beans you like – I made it once with pinto beans and once with sweetcorn, and I think next time I’m going to put BOTH in. Whoa, calm down, son.

Easy to serve up, I have gone with salad leaves for a quick side, and paired it with guacamole the second time. Also would be amazing with baked sweet potato or served on top of a tortilla wrap.

I’m getting really hungry just typing this up. That’s how good this meal is.


(serves 4, or two very very hungry people)

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 400g turkey mince
  • 3 tsp paprika
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp garlic granules
  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 1 leek
  • 2 scallions
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1 pepper
  • ½ tsp chilli powder
  • Salt and pepper
  • 100ml pasatta
  • 250ml chicken stock
  • 1 can of pinto beans or sweetcorn
  • A good handful of cheese – I went with cheddar and Mexicana

Method

Begin with the turkey mince – heat half the oil in a large (oven-proof) frying pan.



Fry the turkey mince with 1 tsp paprika, oregano and garlic granules. Set aside when cooked, and heat up the rest of the oil.

Chop up your sweet potato into tiny cubes (I did this while the turkey was cooking) and add to the pan. Fry for 15 minutes, stirring to ensure they don’t catch and burn.



Now, chop the leek, scallions, garlic and pepper in preparation. Add this to the pan once the sweet potatoes are cooked, along with the rest of the paprika, oregano, chilli powder and seasoning. Stir well, then add in the pasatta.



Give another good mix and add the cooked turkey mince back into the pan.



Again , mix around and then gradually add in the stock until all incorporated.

Allow to simmer away for 5 minutes, then stir in the beans/sweetcorn.



Allow to simmer for another 5-10 until everything is cooked and the sauce is thicker.



Sprinkle over the grated cheese, and bung under the grill for a few minutes until the cheese is bubbling and melted.





Serve immediately, topped with some extra scallions if you have it. Complete NOM.

In the pan

On the plate. 3rd stage not pictured: IN MY MOUTH.

From the second go at this - sweetcorn and guac!

No comments:

Post a Comment