Friday 8 January 2016

Halloumi and Onion Sweet Potatoes



It's January, so I suppose I better post something with stupid salad on it. We will be back to our regularly-scheduled sugar-bombs next week.

Having said that, in a bad mood as I root around for any nice Roses that are left in the box, these are actually a tasty treat. As I do love sweet potatoes, and I recently discovered the joys of baking them, I’m trying to get more creative.

I’ll be honest, I’ve had a lump of halloumi cheese in my fridge for AGES and I couldn’t decide what I wanted to do with it. My aunt is vegetarian and once fried me up some of this. It was delicious, a revelation, the food of the gods. I'd never cooked it myself, but I wanted to try something a bit different with it. And the lovely chewy texture is the perfect accompaniment to the soft sweetness of the spud. That description was TERRIBLE. But the final product is not!

These are incredibly simple to make, and a perfect side dish for other meals, I served mine with burgers, because I have an obsession with sweet potatoes and burgers for some reason.




Ingredients
  • 2 sweet potatoes
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1 scallion, diced
  • Handful of rocket or spinach
  • Small nib of butter
  • Handful of halloumi, sliced and broken up into small pieces.


Method

Get your oven heated to 200 degrees.

Scrub clean the skin of the sweet potatoes. Make a few slices in the skin and cover in olive oil. Place in the oven on a baking tray and bake for 45 minutes, until slightly squidgy when pressed. Remove from oven and set aside for a few minutes.

Fry the onion and scallion in the oil until lightly caramelised, and stir through the rocket or spinach until just wilted.




Go back to your sweet potatoes and cut them in half lengthwise. Mash the insides roughly with a fork, keeping it all inside the skins. I also used a bit of butter because I’ve never mashed a spud without butter and I don’t intend to start now.




Add the onion mix on top of the mashed sweet potato and then scatter over the halloumi.



Put back in the oven for 5-10 minutes.


Serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment