Friday 11 December 2015

Pizza Topped Burgers

How's that for a slice of fried gold?


Mmmmm, hello weekend!

What is a girl to do when she has some pepperoni which is about to go past its sell by date and she bought too much mozzarella?

Well..

Pizza burger time!

I’ll confess, I’m not a big cheese fan. I don’t like the texture of it when it isn’t cooked, and I really don’t like cheese that is strong smelling/tasting. For me, mozzarella is the perfect cheese – it’s got that classic “stringy” cheesey texture and it doesn’t taste overwhelmingly cheesy. I have tried to incorporate it into my life as much as possible.

The secret to the mozzarella here is to keep the heat trapped in to allow it to melt all over the burger. Unfortunately it doesn’t get crispy on top, I think I’d probably need a working grill for that! Everytime I put the grill on, the fire alarm also goes off..

Serves 4


Ingredients
  • 4 burgers (I made mine from this recipe)
  • 150ml pasatta
  • A few basil leaves, sliced thinly
  • 1 garlic clove, diced small
  • 8 slices of pepperoni
  • 4 generous slices of mozzarella


Method

Start frying the burgers.

In a separate pan, heat the pasatta, basil and garlic until simmering. Season. Stirring reasonably often, turn down and let thicken on the heat.

When your burgers are neeeeearly cooked, put a dollop of tomato sauce on top, then 2 slices of pepperoni, then a slice of mozzarella. I added onions to some of them at this point too.




Pop a lid on the burger pan and let cook for another few minutes until the mozzarella has melted.




Remove, top with your favourite burger accouterments and then serve! I went with extra tomato sauce for mine, and fried onions for the boyfriend. YUM.




No comments:

Post a Comment