Friday 6 November 2015

Soda Farl



Happy Friday, everyone! I'm going back to Belfast this weekend, so some comforting, taste-of-home soda bread was called for.

One thing I love about Irish bread is that they never really require time to rise or prove. Because when an Irish woman wants bread, she wants it NOW. Ain’t no one got time to wait for bread to double in size. I’m talking potato bread, wheaten bread, soda bread..

This bread is pan-cooked, and it literally takes minutes from mixing to eating. Now that’s what I’m talking about.



It is an absolute staple of the Ulster fry, but works well as a perfect breakfast on its own, buttered when hot from the pan. Leftovers can be sliced and toasted, too. You need this in your life. Go on, go on, go on.




Makes 8 farls (two big circles)

Ingredients
  • 400g plain flour
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 250ml buttermilk


Method

Mix together the dry ingredients, make a well in the middle and pour in the buttermilk. Work quickly to mix together with your hands. Lightly kneed on a well-floured surface.

Form into a rough circle, about 2cm thick. Cut into quarters.



Heat a dry pan, and sprinkle in some flour.

Add the circle of 4 farls to the pan and cook for 6-8 minutes on each side, until cooked through.





Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before serving up however you like.



2 comments:

  1. I have now saved your blog haha! Tell me this if I make these can I freeze them and reheat them in the pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say you could slice and freeze them and then toast them from frozen!

      Delete