Saturday 5 September 2015

Big Tall Victoria Sponge



I had a minor disaster a few weeks ago – my oven BROKE! Well, the glass door shattered for some reason, and rendered it completely unusable. Unfortunately it happened over the weekend when no one was around to come and fix it.

It was a tense 2 days with no oven, but then a very nice handyman came and installed a new one and all was right with the world! I’m still trying to work out how this oven bakes, so for its maiden voyage I decided to bake something fairly classic and simple (but that I had NEVER made before, great!).

The sponge here is actually the *second* thing I baked in the oven, because the first Victoria sponge didn’t turn out so well – there is enough batter in the mixture to make three good tiers, but I had initially baked it with only 2 tiers so the cake layers had their own little muffin top. I mean, the taste was good but the cake was NOT cute.



The only thing I would slightly change in this cake is that I think I put too much filling in, so the layers preferred to slide around a little bit (I have reduced the quantities here). But it tasted goooooood!


Ingredients
  • 225g butter
  • 225g sugar
  • 225g plain flour
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tbsp milk
  • 150ml double cream
  • Half a jar of jam
  • Sprinkling of icing sugar to finish

Method

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and grease and line three cake tins.

Cream the butter and sugar.



Mix together the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.

Add the eggs, one at a time, with a tbsp. of flour mix with each.



Stir through the rest of the flour and then add milk if needed at the end, to get the cake batter to a soft, dropping consistency.



Evenly divide between the three prepared tins.



Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.

When completely cool, whip the cream.

Sandwich the three cakes together with the whipped cream and jam. Top by sprinkling with icing  sugar.





Slice into luscious pieces and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment