Tuesday 11 August 2015

Coconut and Raspberry Loaf

This is a delicious comforting hug of  a cake


Oooh, this is a classic. I tend to get this on the rare occasions that I frequent Starbucks, and every time I get one I think “I gotta make this at home!” And then I always forget.

But not today!



I’m totally in love with cakes baked in square tins and sliced, there is something very comforting and easy about them, no cake to slice and no big wedge-shaped slices to fiddle with. Basically, I can bring them into work or people’s houses and we can all dig in and enjoy  with minimal fuss or effort. That’s kind of my wheelhouse.


Ingredients
  • 225g butter
  • 225g sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 225g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Zest from ½ lemon
  • A generous few tbsp. strawberry jam (or whatever your favourite jam is)
  • 100g desiccated coconut for sprinkling


Method

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, and grease and line a deep rectangular pan (mine was about 20cmx30cm).

Start the cake as we tend to do. Cream the butter and the sugar, then beat in the eggs one by one.  Mix the flour with the baking powder. I tend to throw in a heaped tbsp of flour with each egg to avoid the whole thing separating or “curdling”.



Stir through the rest of the flour, the vanilla and the lemon zest.



Pour it all into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes.



Remove from the oven when cooked through and golden, and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes.

Turn out, spread with the jam and sprinkle generously with the coconut.




Allow to cool, then slice and serve. YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment