Saturday 11 July 2015

"Cup of" Traybakes



Continuing with my nostalgia taste of home..

Taste is a funny thing. I mean, looking at these traybakes there is nothing particularly special about them. To me, they look like delicious little morsels, but nothing particularly out of the ordinary.



And then, I took a bite. Instantly I was transported back to my childhood, sitting in a caravan on my summer holidays, having just licked the bowl clean of melted chocolate, and now tucking into this delicious coconutty, chocolatey, crunchy, crumbly bar of love.



You see, this is one of my nanny’s signature recipes. Most of my family can recite this recipe from memory. You know it is a special day when she busts this bad boy out. Of course, when I was little I was chief helper (I was a great stirrer) and then I was allowed to pick clean the scraped-out bowls for a little treat.

I love these buns. You will too.


Ingredients
  • 1 cup plain with 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup coconut
  • ¼ cup cocoa
  • 1 cup of lightly crushed cornflakes
  • 125g butter
  • 200g chocolate
  • More coconut, for a topping


Method

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.

Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir together.




Make a well in the middle and pour in the butter. Stir well until you have coated all the dry ingredients in butter and it is starting to come together.



Tip into a brownie pan and smooth out the top, making sure to press and pack everything together tightly.



Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.

Just before the end of cooking time, melt the chocolate.

Remove from the oven, and pour the melted chocolate on top, smoothing out. Sprinkle a liberal amount of coconut on top and allow to chill until the chocolate has set.




Cut into squares and make it your new family favourite!




No comments:

Post a Comment