Thursday 2 July 2015

Chicken Quesadillas



Am on a bit of a quesadilla kick these days. I can’t think of a more perfect quick and delicious weekday meal. This is honestly the kind of food which just makes me happy.

So, this is a much lighter version of the chorizo and black bean ones I made before- the flavours are less intensely rich and it has a beautiful delicate spicing. I used leftover roast chicken (I usually have this hanging around because I LOVE to roast up a chicken) but feel free to slice some raw chicken and add it up to the pan after the veggies are cooked, frying until golden and cooked through.

I was also very pleased at how well this held together as well, the key I think is adding a small amount of cheese between each layer which will help “glue” everything together when melted.

Anyway. You need these in your life. Especially with some sweet potato fries (of course!). Stay tuned for the next version where I am thinking of putting some sweet potatoes inside the quesadilla! It is all go in my house!


Serves 4, or 2 greedy people plus leftovers

Ingredients
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 pepper, sliced,
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • Splash of olive oil
  • 1 tsp chilli powder
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp cayenne
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tbsp tomato puree
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1 tin of beans – I like pinto beans, but I used a “Mexican mix” for this
  • 200g cheese, grated
  • 4 tortillas
  • A handful of spinach leaves
  • Leftover meat from 1/4-1/2 chicken


Method

Prepare the vegetables. Fry in a little oil for a few minutes until softened.

Add in the spices, tomato puree and honey and stir well to combine.



Allow to cook for a few minutes.

In the meantime, cook the beans – I just did mine according to the instructions and microwaved them.

Add the cooked beans to the vegetable mix and stir. Allow to cook for a few minutes.

I could just eat this right now, I love beans.


In the meantime, grate the cheese and shred the chicken.



Remove the beans from the heat and add a fresh pan to the hob, and heat to medium.

Assemble the quesadillas: lay a tortilla out flat, and on half of it sprinkle a small amount of cheese, 
then the bean mixture.



Then add some spinach, and add the shredded roast chicken. Finally, top with a 
liberal amount of cheese and fold over.




Spread over a little bit of olive oil and place in a pan. Cook for a few minutes on each side until golden and crispy, and the cheese is well-melted. Remove at cut in half.




Serve with rice or salad (or my fave, sweet potato fries!)


No comments:

Post a Comment