Thursday 14 May 2015

Jammy Muffins


I am currently on my jolly holidays in Belgium! It is great here - I can't wait to make waffles and proper frites when I get home! I have also been stuffing my case (and face) with enough chocolate to live on for a year. I really don't see anything wrong with that.

But enough about chocolate, this post is all about the above delicious muffin donut thingys, Let’s first address the name of these little morsels. They’re a bit like a muffin and a bit like a donut. But Doffin sounds dumb and (for me) evokes the unholy combination of a dolphin and a puffin. And the less said about Muffnut the better..

This is one of the recipes that I love. It is quick, simple, uses ingredients I always have hanging around the kitchen, and most importantly they look and taste pretty impressive.

I was really happy with how these turned out- perfect little sugary domes of deliciousness with a surprise of sweet fruity jam inside. An absolute winner.


Makes 9
Ingredients for the muffins
  • 1 egg
  • 85ml vegetable oil
  • 125ml milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla sugar
  • 200g plain flour
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 9 chunky tsp of strawberry jam


To finish
  • 35g butter, melted
  • 70g caster sugar


Method

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees, and grease a muffin pan (or use a silicon one – I find them bendy and weird so I don’t have any).

Whisk together the egg, oil, milk and the vanilla sugar.



In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and caster sugar. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and briefly mix until all combined. Don’t worry if there are a few lumps!



Divide 2/3 of the mixture between into the muffin pans, and then top with a tsp of jam. Cover with the remaining batter, make sure that none of the jam is visible.

Excuse my stained muffin pan - it is clean but well-loved.



Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.



Remove from the oven, and place on a cooling rack. While still warm, brush over the melted butter and then roll in the sugar.






Allow to cool a bit before digging in.


YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment