Wednesday 3 December 2014

Spaghetti Bolognese



Do you ever get that awful, embarrassing to the pit of your stomach feeling when you realise that you have been spelling something incorrectly your entire life? Well that just happened to me. I really didn’t know how to spell Bolognese.. I could cook it. But spelling apparently eluded me until, well, this post. Oops.

The "before" picture

Aaaaanyway. I'm totally over that, because it is closing in on Christmas, my tree is up, lights are twinkling, the nights are long and full of terror cold, and everything is feeling festive. And that makes me want to cook comforting deliciousness.

I will say that this is, hands down, the best bolognaise I have ever eaten. Throw out all your jars of pre-made sauce RIGHT NOW. Because this is pretty much as easy, and a million times tastier. The thickness of the sauce and the depth of flavour just combine to make the most delicious plate of food I’ve had in ages.  And the copious amounts of parmesan don’t hurt.. Mamma mia!

** UPDATE 12/6/16. I make this all the time. Probably fortnightly. If you want to double the recipe, then double the meat and vegetable bits, but I've not had success doubling the liquid parts too - it makes it far too watery. I'd go for 100ml wine, 250ml beef stock and 250ml pasatta. And initially cook for 45 minutes and then lid off and continue to cook for 25 minutes.

Serves 2-3

Ingredients
  • 1-2 slices salami
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1 onion
  • 1 pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 250g mince
  • 75ml red wine
  • 150ml beef stock
  • 150ml passata
  • 1 small tomato, optional (I didn’t have any)
  • Salt and pepper
  • ½ a bunch of basil
  • 50g parmesan
  • 150g spaghetti


Method

Begin by preparing the vegetables and salami, chop all very finely.

Heat the oil, and gently fry the salami and oregano for a few minutes.



Add in the onion, pepper and garlic and stir, for about 5 minutes.



Add the mince, and brown.

Then stir through your wine, stock and pasatta. Mix well, and then stir in the tomato. Season well. 



Add a few chopped stalks of basil at this point.

Set the lid on top of the pan with a small gap, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every now and again.

Then take the lid off and cook for 15 minutes. You could add more stock or some water at this stage if it is looking too dry.

I threw in my basil stalks a bit too late


Meanwhile, cook the pasta.



Stir though half the parmesan and some of the basil leaves, and leave for a few more minutes.



Serve with the pasta, sprinkle some basil and parmesan on top. I also served with garlic bread because I couldn't help myself.

OMG it was amazing,

No comments:

Post a Comment