Saturday 27 December 2014

MINCE PIES! Sleigh Bells Ringin'



Christmas a-go-go.

Yes, I know it’s over,  but I desperately cling to the remnants of Christmas like I’m falling off a wintery cliff. My tree is still up, sweets are still under it, and goddamn I’m still eating the ham from Christmas day. I’m wearing a Christmas jumper right now, for Chrissakes.

And so, my blog will be festive right until my tree is wilting and the snow is melting. Bring it on!
I really like my enhanced mince pies, the extra zest is killing it, and the almonds really adds something to the pastry. Delectable.

Makes 12

Ingredients for the pastry
  • 325g flour
  • 50g ground almonds
  • 250g butter
  • 125g caster sugar
  • 1 medium egg


Ingredients for the filling
  • 1 jar of mincemeat
  • 1 tangerine, zested then peeled and chopped
  • Zest of half a lemon
  • 1 tsp cinnamon


Method

Begin by making the pastry. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.

Sift the flour and almonds together.



Rub in the butter and then stir through the sugar.



Work through the egg, with your hands at the end.

Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge while you make the filling.



For the filling, open the jar of mincemeat into a bowl, then grate in the zests and sprinkle over the cinnamon.



Chop in the tangerine and stir together. Set aside.





Roll out the pastry to 3mm thickness and cut with a round 10cm cutter.



Place these into a muffin tin, and then fill ¾ with the zest-enhanced mincemeat filling.



Roll out more dough and cut out with an 8cm fluted cutter. Place the lids on top.



Sprinkle with caster sugar, then place in the oven for 20 minutes.


Remove from oven, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve, slightly warm. OMG would be amazing with custard.


No comments:

Post a Comment