Saturday 8 November 2014

Peppermint Squares



Okay, so, I have been looking forward to making this post for a while. The following recipe is, without compare, my absolute favourite thing that I make.  They really, really remind me of my favourite (and sadly discontinued) childhood biscuit - the Mint Yoyo. 

I like these so much that I can only make them with the express intention of bringing them somewhere to share with people, otherwise I will eat them ALL. In one day. And then I feel ill. And keep eating.

There was a time when I lived back in Belfast that I made these weekly. Even now, if I turn up to a family event without them I am SHUNNED. “Where are the peppermint squares?” they’ll say, with disappointment and simmering rage.

So, with that humble build up..


Makes approx. 36 squares

Ingredients for the base
  • 110g melted butter
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 tbsp cocoa
  • ½ cup coconut
  • 1.5-2 cups cornflakes, crushed slightly



Ingredients for the peppermint icing
  • 200g icing sugar
  • ½ tsp peppermint essence
  • Few ml of water


Ingredients for the topping
  • 150g chocolate
  • 50g butter


Method

Preheat the oven to 160 degrees and grease and line a square tin (I used my brownie tin).

For the base, begin by melting the butter, I do mine in the microwave for quickness.

In a separate bowl, combine all the other ingredients, stir to combine.




Pour in the butter and stir well to mix. Press into the prepared tin.




Bake for 20 minutes.

Nearing the end of the baking time, make the icing layer by combining the icing sugar and essence, and slowly adding water until you get the right consistency – it should spread easily but not be runny. You could add green food colouring here, but I didn’t have any!

Take the base out of the oven,  and while still warm, spread the icing over evenly. Allow to cool. 




Then cover with cling film and place in the fridge for a few hours until chilled.

When chilled, melt the butter with the chocolate and pour over the top. The coldness of the base should allow the topping to harden a lot faster. Leave out for about 20 minutes then place back in the fridge to allow to fully harden. I left mine overnight.

Shiny! Before chilling


Then remove from the tin, and slice into your desired square sizes.




Package up and share with people. They will love you.


Tower of deliciousness


No comments:

Post a Comment