Saturday 22 November 2014

Kladdkaka



Or, as my Swedish boyfriend call it, less appetisingly, “sludge cake.”

We are getting really close to the Christmas season now, and I am *this* close to putting up my tree. I have subtly been putting out decorations over the last few days, enough that it looks festive, not enough that my boyfriend notices. Sly! My iPod is filled with Christmas songs, and I'm feeling jolly!

This is a perfect winter-time cake for me. It’s dense, chocolatey and really rich, so you really only need a sliver ("What, are you afraid you're gonna run out? Cut me a real piece!"). And it goes perfectly with ice cream, as that really undercuts the rich chocolate flavour. We only had vanilla in the freezer (first world problems), but I’d love to try it with some cinnamon or caramel ice cream. Full disclosure, it isn't the prettiest cake. But damn, if it doesn't taste amazing.

Adapted from the delectable (but oddly-named) Swedish baking blog: Call Me Cupcake


Ingredients
  • 250g butter
  • 150g dark chocolate
  • 100g milk chocolate
  • 50ml strong coffee, or water
  • 4 large eggs (at room temperature)
  • 160g sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla sugar
  • Generous pinch of salt


Method

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees and line a springform cake tin with greaseproof paper.

Melt the butter and chocolate on a low heat, when all melted together, take off the heat, stir in the coffee and set aside to cool slightly.

How many of my days are spent melting chocolate and butter today? MANY


Meanwhile, whip together the eggs, sugar and vanilla for approximately 5 minutes, until you have a light and fluffy mixture.




Stir the chocolate mix into the egg mix, and then stir through the salt.

Swirly!



Pour into the tin and bake for 45 minutes.



Let cool before removing it from the pan, or it will get messy.



Can be served hot (quick blast in microwave), at room temperature or cooled from the fridge. Straight from the fridge gives it a lovely fudgy texture.

Take note, this is what it looks like when you leave your boyfriend's favourite cake in the fridge to chill overnight without a lock on it.


I dusted some icing sugar on top to pretty it up a bit, and served with vanilla icecream. I had a very happy boyfriend at the end of it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment