Monday 9 June 2014

Mac and Cheese

America, represent!



I, of course, bastardise this traditional meal shamelessly.

I always feel that this most stodgy of carbohydrate dinners needs something to cut through all the beige. Which is where I come in. To make this a full and slightly more balanced meal, I usually add meat, in the form of frankfurters or bacon, and to give it a little crunch I mix in some scallions. I think spinach could be excellent in this as well.



Sorry, my American friends. This is mac and cheese, but not as you know it.


Adapted from OMGF So Good blog. Serves 3-4

Ingredients
  • 450g macaroni
  • 5 rashers of bacon
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp plain flour
  • ½ cup cream
  • 1 ½ cups semi skimmed milk
  • 1 tbsp Worchester sauce
  • ½ tsp mustard powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • 200g cheddar cheese (or a mix of cheddar and Mexicana cheese)
  • 4 scallions, chopped
  • ¼ cup parmesan, to serve

Method

Boil the pasta according to package instructions.

Meanwhile, fry the bacon or sausages.

In a separate pan, melt the butter, then add the flour and stir to make a roux.




Take off the heat, and quickly whisk in the milk and cream.



Add in the Worchester sauce, mustard powder and salt and pepper.

Add in the cheese and stir. 



Then add in the scallions and stir to combine.



To serve, slice the bacon and drain the macaroni.

Add the bacon to the pasta pan and then stir in the cheese sauce.




Top with parmesan cheese and serve! .. I don't have a photo of it plated because I forgot and ate it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment