Friday 4 April 2014

Spinach and Pepper Chicken





You should by now have a feel of what I am about with my cooking. I like chicken, and I have a list of veggies which I will come back to again and again. I'm a boring gal. This dish combines a lot of my most-used ingredients, to the point where I can pretty much whip it up at any time because my fridge is fully stocked with the goodies to make it. As such, it is one of my all-time favourite suppers.

This recipe combines some of my 3 favourite attributes in a meal; simple, fast, delicious. There’s not much else that can be said about this classic meal, it’s a tasty twist on chicken and veggies.

Best served with a few roasted new potatoes, but I think this could be equally delicious with some couscous or rice. I love couscous. But that is a story for another day.


Adapted from an Angela Hartnett recipe I clipped out of the newspaper years ago. Because that is WHO I AM.

Serves 2-3

Ingredients

  • 2-3 chicken breasts
  • 1.5 tbsp olive oil
  • 1.5 peppers, sliced
  • 2-3 scallions, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, diced
  • Half a packet of green beans, trimmed
  • Pinch of rosemary
  • 100ml water
  • 100g spinach
  • Lemon zest


Method

Season the chicken, place oil in a pan and heat. Colour the chicken on all sides, then remove from the pan and keep warm.




Add in the sliced peppers, rosemary and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.




Return the chicken to the pan, add the water and simmer for 20 minutes until there is a nice thick sauce.

Look, it's not the most appetising right now, but just trust me.


About 10 minutes before the end of cooking, add in the green beans.



Add in the spinach and cook for a few minutes until it wilts.



I normally check that the chicken is cooked by making a few thick slices through the breast and checking that no pinkness remains.



Grate some lemon on top.

Serve with roasted new potatoes, or whatever feels right.



No comments:

Post a Comment