Friday 11 April 2014

Peanut Butter Traybakes





In Dubai, Friday is the start of the weekend. And what better way to kick it off than sweet nutty goodness? Warning: these are seriously sweet, and a really hard to define tasty little morsel.

I always feel like it deserves some quirky name like crunchynutchocs.

..I’m not a namer. But to give you an idea of what you're in for, these delights are all about the peanutty chocolatey chewiness. 



I have always had a soft spot for making and devouring tray bakes. There is nothing that makes me happier than pressing a mixture into a tin, slathering with chocolate, and slicing into squares. A lot of my food loves are embedded in childhood memories. Mars Bar squares were definitely the first thing that I ever made (with my mum’s help, of course!) and these are just a slightly more elaborate version. That, and the fact that they are delicious, really cement them as firm favourites in my house.




Cuts into 30-36 decadent squares

Ingredients

  • 200g peanut butter
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 200ml golden syrup
  • 100g cornflakes
  • 100g dessicated coconut
  • 50g peanuts (optional)
  • 150g chocolate
  • 50g butter


Method

Measure out the peanut butter, sugar and syrup into a small non-stick pan and heat gently until combined, smooth and pourable.


Measuring out

Beginning to heat

All done!

In a large bowl, measure out the cornflakes and coconut and mix. If using peanuts, I would substitute 50g of the coconut for the peanuts. You will note that I did not use cornflakes. Because I got halfway through the recipe at 9pm and realised that we didn’t have any. The closest I had was these delicious multigrain cereal things. Try not to follow my example.



Stir in the peanut butter mixture.



Press into a tin, pack tightly and and smooth out.



Meanwhile, melt together the chocolate and butter, and spread evenly over the top of the traybake.




Chill in the fridge until the chocolate has completely hardened.



Cut into approx 36 pieces and store in an airtight container for the four seconds it will take to eat all these.






No comments:

Post a Comment