Tuesday 18 March 2014

Leek and Potato Soup




Ireland, IREEELAND!

Happy belated St Patrick’s day, everyone! Sorry for the delayed post, but I was home in Belfast all last week, having a brilliant time with the family. 

..and enjoying some warm-weather treats

The holy grail. Tayto 4 lyfe.


On my last day there, I was wracking my brains with them, trying to think of what I could make for the blog in celebration of my Irish-ness, because I just don’t enjoy too much of what you may think of as ‘traditional’ Irish food. Irish stew, salmon, Guinness.. Boke. But if you have been paying any attention at all then you know that I have a deep love for the humble potato. How could you not, they are filling, nourishing and infinitely versatile.

And this soup is a fantastic way to show off the spud. Superbly smooth and silky, and the flavour is perfect. One of the best soups I’ve ever made, and so simple. I love this for a cold-weather dinner, with hunks of warm fresh bread, but it makes a lovely filling lunch too.


Ingredients

  • 1tsp oil
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • 2 medium leeks, sliced
  • 300g potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 1.2 L vegetable stock
  • salt and pepper
  • 50ml double cream


Method

Peel and chop the potatoes, and chop the vegetables.



Heat the oil, and briefly sauté the onion and leeks. Add in the potato chunks and stir until everything is nicely coated in oil.



Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to the boil.



Simmer for 20-25 minutes.



When the potatoes are cooked through, take off the heat and blend with a hand blender until smooth.



Salt and pepper to taste.


Place briefly back on a low heat and stir through the cream.


Serve with lovely bread, or just on its own.


No comments:

Post a Comment