Friday 10 January 2014

Classic Walnut Brownies


Packaged up for work

I have a confession to make. I am a bit crap at making brownies. It’s just one of my sticking points, like fudge (dear God, fudge haunts my nightmares). But every so often I get the urge to give it another go, because I am a bit stubborn like that, and brownies are so delicious.

I got the Mary Berry Baking Bible from my very thoughtful mum for Christmas and there are a few promising brownie recipes which I earmarked. One of which is the subject of this post. She hasn’t steered me wrong yet.

First of all, it is a gratifyingly simple recipe. Second, it has an amazing brownie ‘crust’ on top which I am ecstatic about. And finally.. It isn’t all goo in the middle! Rejoyce! Brownies: delicious. Me: successful. Winners all round.

Make these. Put whatever nuts you want in them. Eat them.

Adapted from a Mary Berry recipe

Makes 16-20

Ingredients

  • 230g dark chocolate, chopped
  • 150g butter
  • 1tbsp coffee
  • 2 large eggs 150g caster sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla sugar
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 75g flour
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • 100g walnuts
  • 150g chocolate chips

Method – oven at 190 degrees

Place the chocolate and butter in a bowl set over a pan of boiling water and stir until melted. 


Exactly 150g BOOYEAH,


If you are feeling too lazy for this, you can heat them both gently in a pan as long as you stir constantly to stop it overcooking and going lumpy. Leave to cool.


Try to make less of a mess than I did

Grease a square pan and line with greaseproof paper.



In another bowl, mix the coffee, eggs, salt, sugar and vanilla and beat well.



Carefully beat in the melted chocolate mixture until all incorporated. 
 

Beat more than this. This was a pretty middle-stage

Fold in the flour and baking powder.



..followed by the nuts and chocolate chips. 



Pour into the prepared tin.



Bake for 35-40 minutes until the top hardens up and a skewer comes out clean.



Leave to cool in the tin, then divide.



No comments:

Post a Comment