Saturday 25 January 2014

Banana Bread (with cheeky chocolate chips)

Sliced up and ready to bring to work (with a few slices removed for home)




  
So, I have had two lonely, rapidy browning bananas sadly slumped in my fruit bowl for a couple of days now. 

Judging me.

I obviously wasn’t going to eat them, because bananas bore me slightly at the best of times, never mind the weekend. Plus, I have so many eggs to use!

So, I turned to my new favourite person ever, Mary Berry. I feel like I know her. And love her. She did not fail me, presenting me a beautiful banana loaf recipe which I bastardised with chocolate chips. AND I got to use my brand new loaf tin!

Best. Weekend. Ever.


Adapted from a Mary Berry Baking Bible recipe. My new actual bible.

Ingredients

  • 225g flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp ground mixed spice
  • 100g butter
  • 220g bananas (about 2 medium-sied bananas)
  • 50g caster sugar
  • 50g brown sugar
  • 1 tsp lemon juice, or grated lemon rind
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 3 tbsp golden syrup
  • 100g various chocolate chips
To Top
  • 1 tbsp honey


Method

Preheat oven to 170 degrees

Lightly grease and line a 900g loaf tin (the most common size you’ll find).

Measure out the flour, baking powder and allspice into a bowl. Rub the butter in until the you have a mixture resembling breadcrumbs.



Mash the bananas and stir into the flour mixture. 

The gross bananas in question

Mashed bananas, yum.


Add in the sugar and lemon juice, then mix in the eggs. Finally stir in the honey and syrup. 



Throw in about 100g chocolate chips and briefly mix.



Pour into the prepared tin and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 75 minutes, until a knife comes out clean. 




As soon as it is out of the oven, drizzle over the honey and leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes. Cool on a wire rack



Serve when cooled. 

Sliced and ready to go


Would make a lovely accompaniment to afternoon tea. Ooh, with bunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment