Saturday 21 December 2013

Hungover Breakfast (Pancakes and Bacon)

Not the biggest stack in the world, but enjoyable nonetheless.


So, I woke up this morning feeling rotten, post staff party. I must have caught something..

Ahem. The only thing that got me out of bed was the thought of making something greasy and carbohydrate-loaded. I made this in a slightly zombie-like state, and it turned out to be quite restorative. It's the healing power of bacon!

Adapted from a Nigella Lawson Express recipe. 
Makes about 6 pancakes

Ingredients

  • A few rashers of bacon
  • 150g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 15g vanilla sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 260 ml milk
  • 1 tbsp melted butter
  • Maple syrup (optional, but yum)


Method

To begin, get the bacon frying. Keep an eye on it throughout, turning when needed to get it just the right amount of crispy.

In a bowl, weigh out and mix the dry ingredients together. 




Add in the milk and egg, and then finally the butter.



Mix well until you have a thin batter. Lumps are not a catastrophe. For the sized pancakes that I got, I used about 1/3 a cup of the batter.

My 1/3 of a cup


Heat a pan, no extra oil or butter needed. They say that the first pancake should be sacrificed to the pancake gods, and it's true, that one usually comes out a bit wonky. But if, like me, your boyfriend eats pretty much anything, then there's no need to toss it out! Just don't photograph that one. Top tips! 

Cook for approx 1 minute per side, until golden brown and lovely. When the pancake begins to bubble coherently on one side it's time to flip.

MY bubbles!
 Flip dat.


... And over.



While I’m waiting for all the pancakes to be done I generally put the cooked ones in a warmed oven to stay toasty until I can tuck into the whole pile.


Serve stacked, with bacon and maple syrup.


No comments:

Post a Comment